Back to the studio

Ceramics

Last week I had a car problem so only got in to Uni on two days, one of which was a day-long group crit. The joy. But I’ve been making heads (again) using a different technique – my tutor told me to stop making them as pots and try a building technique using torn triangles of rolled-out clay, placed into a hollow form cut from foam. So I did my own version, which turned out to be torn strips of rolled-out clay, placed over newspaper forms. While working through some issues around my childhood dyspraxia and autism spectrum stuff. It was wildly uncomfortable, but I did read art books to calm myself, especially ‘Naked Clay‘ by Jane Perryman which gave me some pointers towards surface decoration (or lack of).

Those first heads in the new style seemed to hit the spot at the group crit, so this week I carried on, using various clays and mixtures.

I also have this idea for displaying them using sound triggered by motion sensors – a consequence of learning to use Soundcloud during the Richard Long week. So I’ve also been researching how this might happen.

Here are a few of the new heads at the pre-bisque stage. I’m also continuing a range of small figurines called ‘Little gritty gods’, as play, and to have some small items to sell in a local gallery. I intend to experiment with a bronze glaze on these.

New style head 1

New style head 1

New style head 2

New style head 2

New style head 3

New style head 3

New style head 4

New style head 4

New style head 5

New style head 5

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s